Tuesday 4 February 2014

Larkhall


Since this Is one of our last days here in Scotland I think it’s time to let you know some more about the place we are living and the school we are attending to. To be honest, when I first got the news that I was going to be an exchange student in Larkhall was I quite disappointed. Like everybody else did I want to live in one of the biggest cities in UK (for example London). But this year has been way better than I first expected.


                                         Postoffice and cafe in downtown Larkhall






Larkhall is a town in South Lanarkshire in Scotland and is around 23 km southeast of Glasgow (largest city in Scotland). Even if it’s so near to Glasgow does they only have a population of around 15.000 people. Larkhall is a typical west of Scotland industrial town (traditionally a textile area) but most of Larkhall’s traditional industries have now shut. Personally do I think it’s bad that they had to shut down, both because it has a big role in Larkhall’s history and it could be interesting for us to visit and see how they made things at the factories.  



All of us lived in host families near the school, and I think that helped us getting into the society and new routines in our daily life.

We are pupils at Larkhall Academy, which is the only high school in Larkhall. I wrote a little bit about the uniforms we have to wear and the rules about it in my post about dress code. I think it has been really liberating to don’t think about what you should wear every morning, and that the school is a place were people (especially the girls) dress properly.

                  This is a picture that showes what our school looks like from the outside



I can say from my heart that this has been the best year in my life, and I’m pretty sure that Marius, Angelika and Rachel agree with me. 


xxx Oda


Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larkhall (04.02.14)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/7083523491_651098dc34_o.jpg (04.02.14) 
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/25/58/3255896_d5895813.jpg (04.02.14)

No comments:

Post a Comment